There are two types of poker Omaha, what is commonly referred to as Hold’em Omaha and poker Omaha hi/lo. While the format of each game remains the same there are many different points that need to be considered, and this means that jumping from one game format to the other is simply out of the question. Here, we will explore more about the differences between Omaha Hold’em and Omaha hi-lo.
What is the main difference between the two formats?
In poker Omaha hi-lo, there are often two winning hands. Just like poker Omaha Hold’em, there is always a high hand, but there can also be a low hand. If there is more than one winning hand, the pot is divided evenly. In order for there to be a low winner a player must have five different cards below or level to 8. For instance, from a hand that consists of two of the players’ hole cards and the five community cards, if the player can make a hand like A-2-3-4-7, they have a qualifying hand.
The advantages of hi-lo Omaha when compared to ‘normal’ poker Omaha
- The game is generally a lot more action packed than Omaha, which means that it may keep your interest for longer.
- You have two chances of winning every hand.
- You may find it much easier to win against those fishing in this variation.
The disadvantages of hi-lo Omaha when compared to ‘normal’ poker Omaha
- This game is much more complicated than ‘normal’ poker Omaha because there are two different hands that can win every pot. It is one of the only variants of poker that has this as a rule.
- Variance is a lot higher in this game format.
If you want to play poker Omaha, and you are struggling to choose between Omaha Hold’em and Omaha hi-lo make sure you think about what variation suits you first before starting. If you like playing trying different variations of poker why not sign up to Pokerstars. They have the largest variety of poker styles available and you can also get yourself £20 free when signing up as a new customer. Click the link below to find out more and to sign up.